CDEA in Detergent Formulation

Coconut diethanolamide (CDEA) is a commonly used surfactant and foaming agent in the production of household and personal care products, including detergents, shampoos, and soaps. It is derived from coconut oil and ethylene oxide, and it serves several functions in these products:

1. Surfactant: CDEA acts as a surfactant, which means it reduces the surface tension of water, allowing it to spread more easily and interact with substances like oils and dirt. This property is crucial in detergents, as it helps lift and remove dirt and stains from surfaces.

2. Foaming Agent: CDEA also functions as a foaming agent, which is important in products like shampoos and soaps to create a rich lather or foam. This enhances the user experience and helps distribute the product evenly.

3. Emulsifier: CDEA can serve as an emulsifier, helping to mix and stabilize ingredients that would otherwise separate, such as oil and water. This property is useful in various cosmetic and detergent formulations.

When you see CDEA listed as an ingredient in a product, it’s often accompanied by a percentage, such as 85% in your example. This percentage refers to the purity or concentration of CDEA in the product. In this case, CDEA with 85% purity means that 85% of the ingredient is pure CDEA, and the remaining 15% may consist of other substances, including impurities or stabilizers.

Overall, CDEA is a versatile and useful ingredient in the formulation of detergents and various personal care products due to its surfactant, foaming, and emulsifying properties.